- a sum of opposites, such as sociability and individualization;
- an online collaborative joint endeavor with a partner aimed at learning a foreign language;
- a global balanced context within which partners’ relationships can relay roles of power;
- an online context within which one can take responsibility of and socialize learning in reciprocal and autonomous ways;
- an online context within which one can exercise autonomy and manage one’s own learning process;
- an online context with space for one’s pleasurable relationship;
- a joint endeavor that consists of online regular meetings extended over a specific time period.
Teletandem is not...
- a private lesson of a foreign language: Teletandem sessions should occur regularly and independently of the partners' wish to meet in that specific moment. Just as in school lessons.
- just chatting with a foreign friend: Teletandem partners must develop the ability to pay attention to two levels of conversation at the same time - the content level (what is said) and the form level (how it is said). Nobody does it in ordinary chatting.
- The success of a Teletandem experience cannot be evaluated merely by the establishment of a nice relationship with your partner, but also by the achievement of predetermined linguistic and cultural objectives jointly settled by the partners. (Helmut Brammerts)